Emergency Pet Care
From Our American Fork Veterinary Team
Our American Fork veterinary team at Utah Veterinary Hospital has advanced experience and resources to deal with a wide variety of veterinary emergencies and urgent situations affecting your pet’s health.
Veterinary emergencies are stressful, both for the pet and for its owner. The veterinary professionals at Utah Veterinary Hospital provide the highest standard of emergency care to dogs, cats, and even pocket pets. Our veterinarian and staff are available from Monday through Friday, ready to tend to veterinary emergencies and provide urgent care to your pet.
Common Veterinary Emergencies in Pets
- Toxic ingestion is one of the most common pet emergencies seen at Utah Veterinary Hospital. Pets are curious about their environment, and this curiosity can lead to trouble. Toxins can be ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Rat poison, antifreeze, chocolate, paint, and household cleaners are toxic.
- Eating household objects can cause a pet emergency. Pets may choke on small objects, eat batteries or other dangerous devices, or even eat nylons, socks, sponges, or something else that obstructs the digestive tract.
- Trauma, such as being struck by a car, is also common. Trauma can cause broken bones, severe cuts, and internal damage. Pets may even go into shock.
Veterinary emergencies can happen to dogs, cats and pocket pets, which include ferrets, guinea pigs, rats/mice, rabbits, and more.
Signs Your Pet Needs Emergency Care
Pets cannot tell you when something is wrong. In fact, many pets hide when they feel ill or are in pain. Every pet owner needs to know the warning signs that their animal companion is in need of emergency veterinary care.
Signs of a pet emergency include:
- Inability to walk
- Sudden limp
- Difficulty breathing or unusually heavy breathing
- Sudden loss of appetite
- Sudden lethargy
- Pale gums with excessive drooling
If your pet is showing any of these symptoms or if you saw your animal companion eat poison or get hit by a car, seek emergency veterinary care right away. Time is always of the essence in a veterinary emergency. Contact our office immediately for a consultation with our knowledgeable team members. We will be glad to tell you if you should bring your pet in immediately or schedule an appointment.
Contact Our American Fork Animal Hospital for More Information Today
Do you have questions about pet emergencies or urgent veterinary care? Contact our American Fork animal hospital today. Utah Veterinary Hospital is located at 161 East 30 N in American Fork, UT. We are open Monday through Friday
For more information on pet emergencies or urgent care, or for a consultation for a veterinary emergency, call Utah Veterinary Hospital at 801-692-1563.