Spaying and neutering are good for your dog and good for your community! At Utah Veterinary Hospital, we encourage all dog owners in American Fork to consider spaying and neutering their pets. Understanding the benefits of spaying and neutering, and knowing when to get your pet spayed or neutered, can help you take care of your pet.
What Is Spaying and Neutering in American Fork?
Spaying is a procedure that involves removing the ovaries from female pets to prevent unwanted pet pregnancies. Neutering is a procedure that involves castration of a pet to prevent him from impregnating females. At Utah Veterinary Hospital, we encourage dog owners to consider spaying or neutering their dog if they have no plans to breed their pet.
Benefits of Spaying and Neutering Your Dog
There are many reasons to spay or neuter your pet! Some of the reasons that pet owners spay or neuter include:
- Reduced risk of cancers of the reproductive system - Spaying or neutering your dog can help protect your pet from diseases of the reproductive system.
- Reduced aggression - Neutered dogs often experience reduced aggression, which can help keep members of your family safe and can also help improve your relationship with your pet.
- Improved behavior - Pets who are spayed and neutered may reduce their undesirable behaviors and may become more obedient as well.
- The reduced impulse to wander - Dogs who have not been spayed or neutered may feel the impulse to wander from home in search of a mate. Spaying or neutering your dog can help reduce this impulse and keep your pet at home.
- Longer lifespan - Because pets that have been spayed or neutered are less likely to suffer from diseases and are more likely to obey their owners, these pets often enjoy a longer lifespan and improved quality of life.
When to Spay or Neuter Your Dog
Spaying or neutering can be done starting from a very young age. Many dog owners will choose to spay or neuter their dog when their pet is about 6 to 8 weeks old. Older dogs can be spayed or neutered as well, but once a pet reaches sexual maturity, benefits like the reduced likelihood of diseases of the reproductive system may no longer apply. In addition, many pets that are spayed or neutered at an older age are less likely to experience behavior improvements.
Contact Your Dog's Veterinarian in American Fork
As your pet's veterinarian in American Fork, we provide spaying and neutering services to pets in the community. We use state of the art equipment and provide safe, efficient spaying and neutering procedures. To make an appointment for your dog to be spayed or neutered, or to find out more information about spaying and neutering, contact us today at 801-692-1563.